Friday, September 17, 2010

Staying Close to God

by Janice Leonard

Hosea 5:15 Then I will go back to my place until they admit their guilt. And they will seek my face; in their misery they will earnestly seek me. 

“Keep short accounts,” Pastor Dan has said a number of times. I wondered just exactly what it meant until I finally figured it out. What does that mean? Don’t let your list of unconfessed sins mount up.
No, I am not in the habit of stealing, murdering, or even lying, but I sometimes have negative thoughts about people, and that’s not good. Sometimes I get carried away and interrupt or monopolize a conversation or unintentionally say something that makes others feel bad. God wants me to build others up and be encouraging and be a good listener. I want to be a healthy part of the body, not a part that secretes drops of poison. Until I confess, these things come between God and me, they hinder my prayers, and I limp spiritually.
As soon as I have disobeyed God, and when the Holy Spirit lets me know I have disobeyed or displeased Him in anyway, I talk to Him about it. I think about why the words, or thoughts, or actions were wrong. I feel bad and tell Him so. God hears me ask for forgiveness and helps keep me from going down that road again. Sometimes I need to make something right. This is one of the ways I stay close to God.

Prayer: Dear Father, I want to be close to You and to please You. Please show me when I mess up and give me the strength to do what is right. Thank You! In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment