Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hearing God in the Silence

by Dan Miller

Mark 1:35-37 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!” 

Solitude and Silence…neat concept. But is it practical? Even more, is it even obtainable? This world is a noisy place because the fear of “being alone” frightens people. Consequently, we are bombarded by noise all day long from our cell phones, emails, Facebook and Twitter accounts (I fear that sometimes we think we are “connected” when we’re really not). Loneliness and inner emptiness drive us to noise and crowds. Ironically, inner fullness is found only in solitude and silence with Christ. Jesus invites us to leave loneliness and to join Him in solitude, calling us from noise to silence.
A few months ago, I started a professional relationship with a Life Coach. One of the sessions dealt with the lack of solitude and the abundance of noise in my life. My coach led me through an exercise to help me grasp the magnitude of my problem. It motivated me to make important decisions resulting in specific actions toward greater solitude and silence.
I am convinced that noise is one of satan's greatest tools to prevent us from becoming closer to God. It does not matter whether the noise is external noise or the internal noise of our mind. Solitude and silence are key to all the spiritual disciplines. The gospels say, “Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” The Psalmist said, “My soul finds rest in God alone.” The prophet said, “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength.”

Prayer: Dear God, make the sanctuary of my heart and mind a silent and solitary place of fellowship with You. Speak to me today so that my witness to others reveals a life spent with You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment