Thursday, September 9, 2010

Spiritual Armor of God

by Shawn Oltz

Isaiah 59:17 He put on righteousness as his breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on his head; he put on the garments of vengeance and wrapped himself in zeal as in a cloak.

Do you ever think of each day as being a battle? I try to remind myself daily that I need the armor of God to be prepared for the spiritual battles ahead. Each morning I try to pray through each of the various pieces of the armor of God. Since memorizing scripture has never been easy for me, I imagine putting on the armor from the top and work down.
The first thing I envision is setting the helmet of salvation onto my head as I thank Jesus for dying on the cross for me and the people of this world. Next I attach the breastplate of righteousness and thank Jesus for being my mediator, forgiving my sins, and making me righteous in God’s sight. I am thankful that the truth of God holds everything together like a belt. I ready my feet with the gospel by asking the Lord to show me who to minister to. I ask Him to keep me from getting distracted by the pressures of the day. This is followed by picking up the shield of faith and asking God for the faith to carry out His will and to avoid the snares of the enemy. Lastly I grab the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God, and ask to be filled by the Holy Spirit.

Prayer: Lord, now that I am fitted with the armor of God, lead me into the battle with fellow soldiers and show me the people that need to be freed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment