Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lunch Buddy?

by Kaia Hurley (daughter of Kyle & Kori Hurley)

Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 


One day at lunch, the new girl in my class named Ashley did not have any lunch money. She was just sitting there with nothing to eat and I felt sorry for her. So, I gave her half of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some of my carrots. She ate it, then shrugged her shoulders and told me “thanks.” It really didn’t sound much like a real “thank you.”

It really wasn’t a big deal to me at the time, but later, she ruined my friendship with my best friend named Tanya by playing with her and leaving me out. That really hurt my feelings, but I still tried to be her friend. She wasn’t interested, even though I had shared my lunch with her. Instead, God gave me two good friends, Bailey and Lana to take the place of the one I had lost.

What I learned was that God will help you love someone even if they aren’t grateful for what you have done for them. He helps me to be nice to Ashley even when I don’t feel like it.

Prayer: Dear God, please help me to remember that You can help me share and show Christ’s love to others. Help me to love others even if they make it hard for me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Kaia - This is a wonderful story and it sounds like you are learning that you have to be nice to those that aren't very nice to you. That is just what God wants. I know your friends are very blessed to have you as their friend.

    ReplyDelete